I figured it was time for a little update on the teaching
situation. Here is the inside
scoop. I have been teaching for a
few months now and really been enjoying the experience. I co-teach with my teachers for the 5th,
6th, and 7th graders and then teach by myself with the
older students in my own awesome classroom. The classroom has a projector, speakers, a computer, a
smartboard (smarter than me at least) and its own office. As the students normally all stay in
their same classroom all day while the professors rotate, this English home base
just for me is pretty nice. My
head teacher Rodrigo told all his classes, “You will be going into Cody’s
classroom. He has a classroom and
an office; I don’t have a classroom and an office.” I am really lucky, however, with great technology, comes great
responsibility.
As I began to realize a long ago
and fully accepted here in Chile, learning a language is tough and takes lots
of effort. Completing assignments
from a book, about things you never will use, with grammar that native speakers
don’t even understand, is destined to failure. As I have no formal teaching credentials and don’t remember
half of what my English, let alone Spanish, teachers told me over the years,
except Hamlet, my teaching style doesn’t quite play by the (English) book. Throughout
the time I have created lessons ranging from a basic conversation introducing ones
self to watching the Simpsons online and answering questions about what
happened. We have read random bits
of information on subjects like France and Vampires and given presentations and
also watched and discussed commercials on important subjects like Pepsi. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu25lUDJZgY&feature=related).
Enjoy. We even
sung, “Stand by Me” while filling in missing vocabulary words, and learning
about the songs history.
Considering
I still don’t know if my students have learned anything or understand half the
things I say, my head teacher gave me positive reassurance. He said that he has noticed positive
changes in his classroom and around the school and that I have been making an
impact. He said that in his
classroom his students are all starting to use English to communicate. He also said that twenty students have
expressed interest in studying abroad up from one last year. I have heard the language improvement
in the English teachers and even had some great English conversations with the
math and philosophy teachers, and even the vice-principal. Witnessing eight year-old students say
“Hello Mr. Cody, how are you?” is very rewarding. These positive signs and
words of encouragement have shown me that all our work is valuable and this
experience is worthwhile. With
only a few weeks left I hope to contribute and leave a positive memory in the
hearts of all my new Chilean friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment