In Santiago
Sorry
for the delay of posts, but I am back and will post regularly- possibly once a
year, likely once a week, as I catch everyone up to speed. First things first, I decided to come
to Chile for several reasons, the most important being a physical and
psychological realization that I am in a new stage of my life. I left the comforts of home and school
to see a new culture and share my stories with the youth of the world. Low and behold, I travel 5000 miles to Chile
to find what I could have found 30 miles away… California.
Before you start wondering what kind of hallucinogens are in
the water let me explain my general observations of the first few days.
1. In a nutshell I arrive in
Santiago and have to stand in line for several hours in order to get through
customs and pay a reciprocity fee, most likely because the country has no money
and other countries are a good source of income. 2. I got into what is known as a collectivo, similar to a
group taxi, to get to my hostel, and was in for a surprise. The drivers here
are awful. Turn signals don’t
exist, wearing seatbelts seems to be frowned upon and a red means you have
another 3 seconds to make it through the light if you step on it. 3. There are so many people in Santiago, and none of them speak
the same language as me. (This is
not to say that there is anything wrong with speaking a different language, and
I expect everyone in the world to speak MERICAN, simply it is an
observation). 4. Even though it was the beginning of
fall I definitely got a little sunburn from the 90-degree weather, that 5,
somehow made it through the numerous layers of smog, that was 6, held in by the
very large mountains to the East.
Finally, 7, within the first week I experienced three earthquakes, one
that received international attention, and numerous inquiries from family and
friends (which is appreciated).
No comments:
Post a Comment