Monday, March 5, 2012

2 Weeks and Counting

Welcome to El Chilean Duck!  Unfortunately that appears to be the extent of my spanish knowledge at this point.  As Winter turns into Spring and Spring into... ugh Winter again... I embark on my largest adventure to date: teaching English in Chile.  

The completion of my senior thesis February marks the conclusion to my four and a half years in Eugene.   As one huge weight is lifted off my shoulders, three more important tasks begin their relentless attack on my ability to relax and celebrate.

By March 19th I need to study for and take the GRE for some Grad school that apparently I should go to as a bachelor's degree is not its weight in gold anymore.

2nd- As I have never taught anything but rock-climbing and... thats about it... I am going through the motions of learning to teach.  I forgot to mention, most of the students I will be teaching will not know any english.  In preparation I went to the university to learn some techniques, and my hopes were dashed... English is more difficult than I even imagined... For Example the "ough" spelling can be pronounced 9 different ways.  Say these words to yourself and you'll understand... cough, through, though, plough, rough... and the list goes on.

Finally I need to be ready to live survive in a country where everyone speaks a different language- faster and slangier (making up slang for you) than most others.  In preparation I  have been watching spanish Soap Operas and watched El Rey Leon "The Lion King." Lets just say El mundo sin fin isn't quite as catchy as the Circle of Life.  I just played Cranium so hopefully my charades will be a bit better.

By the way I still don't know where I am teaching.
Oh well thats what this is all about.  If Oregon taught me one thing it was to be prepared for anything.  Never leave home without your sunglasses, rainjacket, gloves, umbrella (for all you Californians) and reusable shopping bags, because you'll need them all.

 Here to the next 14 days... and the beginning to the rest of my life



  


No comments:

Post a Comment