Friday, May 18, 2012

School is not all that it's Cracked up to Be.


Schools- No matter what I do I just can’t seem to stay away from them.  Less than one month after graduating from the University of Oregon and leaving Eugene, I took my first step into Colegio San Jorge as a new English teacher.  San Jorge is divided into three separate schools the Media (high school), the basic, (elementary and middle), and the Jardín (Kindergarden and pre school).  For some reason it goes 1st- 8th grade and then 1st-4th media instead of 9-12th.  Not only that, but it took me 2 weeks to realize why the little kids school was called the Jardín- I’d never heard of a (kids garden) before.  I luckily would be teaching 5th graders through seniors (4m) and thus would have a great idea of what age I liked if I decided to continue teaching in the future.  Lets just say the terrible twos don’t end when you are three…try 19 or maybe 90.
            As I had been a student for 18 years, and a teacher for all of zilch years, I had a lot to learn.  Luckily the professors and staff at both schools are great and have been helping guide me the whole way.  I am assisting three great English professors: Rodrigo, Gladys, and Mariela.  They all have treated me with great respect and as an equal even though they understand the complexities of English more than me.  Even though I can’t understand anything they are saying, they always seem to include me (and laugh).  Rodrigo has been teaching for many years and is a very animated and fun.  Apparently teaching is not his only means of employment; on the weekend he and his wife are clowns and perform in front of up to 1000 kids. 
            Speaking of kids, the students at San Jorge are something.  The first day I saw more people wide eyed with dropped jaws than I had ever seen.  I thought there must have been a beautiful woman walking behind me, ( I looked) but nope it was just me… the gringo.  Of course the first thing that came out of the kids mouths was “Hello. You like Justin Bieber?  I made my first mistake by saying I like him a little: a mistake that came back to bite me a few weeks later (You’ll see).  The conversations improved to talking about sports, favorite foods etc.  After only a couple of weeks nearly every student knew my name and says Hello, How are you? Good and you? Fine… awkward silence--- bye!  Learning their names for me however…another story.  I have never met so many Javiera’s, Cristobal’s, Fernando’s or Valentina’s in my life.  My goal is to learn all 300 students names, first names first, I’ll work on their 3 other names after.
            In general the students are really nice and polite to me… outside the classroom.  Inside was a different story… people are expected to and needed to learn.  No matter how “cool” you are, you are still the teacher and students automatically start talking to each other when you have anything important to say.  My task, however, was simple: teach English in English to students who don’t understand English… run that one through your head.  Piece of torta (cake)! right? I quickly overcame my fear of public speaking and making a fool of myself.  My acting skills have come a long way from my time as the drunken bum in “Little Shop of Horrors” Lets just say I can give anybody a run for their money in Charades. 
            All in all the first impression of the school has been great.  I have a lot to learn, and I hope that I also have just a bit of wisdom to share with my students.  It is strange being the one connection someone has to another country.  If all else fails, the school and the students are only stuck with me for 4 months and then I become someone else’s problem.  So far-so good. Buenas noches y Buena suerte! 


No comments:

Post a Comment